Lion Monument and to the Left is the Acropolis of Chaironeia

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/0160.1237
Level Item
Description Glass negative, quarter plate size, a copy negative taken from a book with caption in German.
Dimensions 10.5 x 8 cm
Place Chaironeia
Dates 1902-1914
Creator Milne, Mr Joseph Grafton
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Chaeronea: Lion monument. To left Acropolis of Chaeronea".
Notes The Lion was reconstructed around 1902 or shortly thereafter by the Archaeological Society - JHS 22 (1902) 380. Donated by Mr Joseph Grafton Milne, but the image was taken from a book published in 1914.
Reference Ponten, J. 1914. Griechische landschaften. 2 vols.: pl. 83.
1920 JHS 40: 6th accession to 1913 slide catalogue. lxxviii.SPHS 1237. Link to article