Delos: The Archaic Lions
|Collection||BSA SPHS Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/0251.1477|
|Description||Film negative, half plate size, presumably an original negative.|
|Dimensions||14.5 x 9 cm|
Jefferson, Dr W. D.
|Scope and Content||The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Delos: the archaic lions".|
|Notes||Date based on mention in JHS 30 (1910) p. l that Dr. W.D. Jefferson is one of the donors of photographs to the image collection. May have been taken on one of the Hellenic Travellers' Club cruises.|
|Further information||Hellenic Travellers Club
The Hellenic Travellers Club consisted of school teachers and others interested in educational cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean. Initiated by Henry Lunn, the club was formalised in 1905, but grew out of experimental cruises called Argonaut Cruises (after the steam yacht) - first in 1901 and then in 1903 and 1904. Annual spring cruises began in 1905, continued until the First World War and resumed in 1924 before finally halting with advent of the Second World War
Many of the passengers from 1901 onward were keen photographers - initially referred to as the Argonaut Camera Club - and a number of their images were donated to the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies or made their way into private collections. The Hellenic Travellers Club produced annual proceedings which published many of the lectures given on board, illustrated with photographs from the tours. See: Harlan, D. 2018. "More than Armchair Travellers" ARGO 8: 19-21.
1911 JHS 31: 7th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxxii.SPHS 1477. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 27.SPHS 1477. Link to article