Ephesus: The Artemision

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/0261.1486
Level Item
Description Film negative, smaller than half plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 12 x 10 cm
Place Artemision at Ephesus
Dates 1903-1904
Donor/Creator Caton, Dr Richard C.
Scope and Content Part of a group of images donated by the Argonaut Camera Club, taken on excursions and cruises in Greece and Asia Minor. The original description in the SPHS negative register reads: "Ephesos: the Artemision".
Notes The image may come from an Easter cruise of the Hellenic Travellers Club on the S.Y. Argonaut ca. 1903-1904. According to the Times account of the first "Argonaut" schoolmaster cruise in 1901 (April 26, 1901, p. 11), Ephesus was not on the itinerary. Therefore, dates must be either 1903 or 1904 as there were no schoolmaster cruises in 1902.
Further information The temple of Artemis (Artemision) in Ephesus near Ayasuluk hill was known as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Archaeological evidence suggests it was sacred since the Bronze Age ddicated to a local deity who later became associated with the Greek Artemis. The oldest remains of the actual temple date to the 6th c. and later embellished by Croesus of Lydia who donated a series of columns decorated with relief sculture. It was extensively rebuilt following its destruction by fire set by the aronist Herostratus. Artemision, was a particularly popular pilgrim destination until it was destroyed by the Goths in 268 AD. Finally, the closure of the temple by the Christians marked the end of paganism. Spolia from the temple were used in the construction of other buildings, including some columns in Hagia Siphia in Constantinople, Parts of the temple’s architecture and sculture are in the British Museum from excavations by J.T. Wood in the 1870s and D.G. Hogarth in 1904-1906.