Monastery of Hagios Nikolaos

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/13/037
Level Item
Place Ayios Nikolaos Monastery
Dates 1905-1909
Creator Traquair, Mr Ramsay
Scope and Content General view. Further annotation in pencil survives at the back of the photograph.
Further information The village of Santameri close to present-day Manolada was named very likely after the noble Nicholas de Saint-Omer, the owner of the region at least since the beginning of the 14th c.
A castle occupied the area to the south. It is not clear whether the photographed Hagios Nicholaos monastery could be identified with the present-day monastery of Hagios Nikolaos close to Kavassila village which must have been founded in the early decades of the 15th c.