Hagios Georgios

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/15/003
Level Item
Place Androusa
Dates 1888-1890
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Part of east elevation. This is a preliminary drawing. It is labelled in pencil (S. George Androusa Messenia) in the upper left-hand corner.
Further information The small single-aisled barrel-vaulted church of Hagios Georgios stands close to the cemetery of Androusa. The largest part of the walls is built in typical middle-Byzantine cloissoné masonry. The east apse is polygonal in three parts and decorated with an arched two-light colonnaded window flanked by two large brick-crosses. The building preserves its doorway with pointed arches and jamb moulds, cornices and string courses.
The church of Hagios Georgios, which is considered to be one of the finest and most elaborate examples of Frankish architecture in the Greek mainland, has been dated to around the end of the 13th c.