Hagios Stephanos (Fatih Camii)

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/02/04/001
Level Item
Place Trigleia
Dates ca. 1913
Donor/Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Scope and Content The two central columns of the atrium. This is a Hellenic Society photograph. It is number in pencil (6238). The photograph is annotated and signed (F.W.Hasluck) in pencil at the back.
Further information Thigleia is a Byzantine region in Marmara/Thrace. It is mentioned in the sources as early as the 8th c. It prospered particularly during the 13th c. as a trade-centre of wine and alum, mainly with Genoa. By the middle of the 14th c. it was besieged by the Turks.

The Byzantine church of Hagios Stephanos (St Stephen, Fatih Camii) is a cross-in-square domed building with narthex and a four-columned open atrium. The capitals of the monolithic columns that carry the dome are decorated with monograms. A date well before the 9th c. has been proposed for the monument. Hagios Stephanos was converted into a mosque in the 16th/17th c.