Hagios Ioannis ho Theologos (Mum Hane Camii)
|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Scope and Content||North-east view. This is a Hellenic Society photograph. It is signed (F.W. Hasluck) and numbered in pencil (H.S. 2904) at the back. Further annotation in pencil survives.|
|Further information||Trebizond is the greatest city of Pontos, the coastal region at the south shore of the Black Sea. The city, important ecclesiastical centre from the 3rd c. already, was rebuilt by Justinian -the emperor restored the fortification system of the city and added an aqueduct to it- and flourished, after a brief period under Turkish occupation starting in 1071. Between 1204 and 1461 as the capital of the empire it arose after the Latin conquest of Constantinople. During the period Trebizond prospered as a key sea-port on the route to Anatolia witnessing a flurry of artistic activity.
Hagios Ioannis ho Theologos (St John the Theologian, Mum Hane Camii) is a triple-apsed domed basilica which became a mosque at around 1461.