Church of the Ascension
|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Durham, Mr L.
|Scope and Content||East façade. The photograph is mounted and framed. It is signed and dated in ink at the back. Further annotation in ink survives.|
|Further information||Dečani is located in the western part of the Serbian province of Kosovo and Metohia. It was built between 1327 and 1335 by King Stephen of Dečani and was dedicated to the Ascension of Christ. It suffered severe damage throughout its history but the mid-fourteenth century fresco program remains largely intact. The building, an imposing example of Romanesque architecture, served as a mausoleum for the Serbian kings.|