|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Durham, Mr L.
|Scope and Content||South-east view. The photograph is mounted and framed. It is signed and dated in ink at the back. Further annotation in ink survives.|
|Further information||The monastery of Mileseva was founded in 1220 by Prince Vladislav, son of the Serbian king Stephan the First-Crowned.
The three-apsed, cross- shaped katholikon dedicated to the Ascension is decorated with an extensive fresco program of strong eschatological and after-life implications. It served as a burial church: the nave houses the marble sarcophagus of Vladislav while the exonarthex which was added to the building in 1236 houses the tomb of Hagios Savas (St Sava) of Serbia.