Patriarchat of Pec
|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Patriarchate of Pec
Durham, Mr L.
|Scope and Content||East façade. The photograph is mounted and framed. It is signed and dated in ink at the back. Further annotation in ink survives.|
|Further information||The oldest church of the ecclesiastical complex at Pec is dedicated to the Holy Apostles and founded around 1230 under the initiative of hegoumenos Arsenios. The fresco program suggests that it was erected to serve as a mausoleum of Serbian archbishops. The church of Hagios Demetrios was added to the complex in 1324 while that of the Virgin was erected shortly before 1337 at the instigation of archbishop Daniel II.|