|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
|Scope and Content||Elevations-Plans. The drawing is entitled in ink: 'San Lorenzo Florence. Plans etc of the Singing Gallery'. It is labelled in ink:'1/2 Plan of the upper part'., '1/2 Plan showing brackets @ soffit', 'End'. It is initialed (RWS) and dated in ink in the lower right-hand corner.|
|Further information||The basilica of S. Lorenzo, one of the largest churches in Florence, the parish church and burial place (mausoleum) of members of the Medici family, was consecrated in 1393 to replace an eleventh century building.
It served as the city cathedral before the official seat of the bishop of Florence was transferred to Santa Reparata. Filippo Brunelleschi was commissioned by the Medici in the beginning of the 15th c. to design the church which, however, was not completed until after his death (1459). The building is considered a cornerstone of Renaissance architecture.