S. Stefano

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/05/02/012
Level Item
Place Florence
Dates September 1888?
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Elevation of tympanum. This is a preliminary drawing.
Further information The Romanesque church of S. Stephano, Florence, is an eleventh/twelfth-century building which has been renovated at least twice in the 14th and the 17th c. Between 1631/49 and 1655 the three-aisled interior was converted to an open hall, a crypt and a choir were added. Notable is the polychrome marble façade of the monument in pure Romanesque style.