Saint Stephan Cathedral

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/09/01/001
Level Item
Place Bourges
Dates 1887
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Carved statues. The drawing is dated and initialed (SHB) in pencil in the lower right-hand corner.
Further information Saint Stephan, Bourges, is a five-aisled church with towers and buttresses in the five portal entrance. Two distinct horseshoe aisles wrap around a central nave and choir. The inner aisle has a higher vault than the outer giving the monument a pyramidal shape while the building retains its original 13th c. ambulatory glass. The Romanesque carved portals date from about 1160/70 and were very likely intended for an earlier church. A majestic Last Judgment decorates the tympanum. The construction of the monument begun in the late 11th c. and was completed by 1250/70.