|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Scope and Content||View from north-west. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. no. 6279). It is initialed in pencil (F.W.H) on the reverse. Further annotation in pencil survives.|
|Further information||The monastery of Nea Moni on the island of Chios was founded in the middle of the 11th c. on the instigation of Zoe and Theodora, daughters of the emperor Constantine VIII, and of Constanstine IX Monomachos who generously endowed and assigned special privileges to the monastic community who foresaw his coronation.
The monastic complex was completed in 1055 just after the emperor’s death. Of the original eleventh-century buildings the katholikon, a cistern, the tower, part of the refectory and the cemetery chapel of Hossios Loukas survive to date.
The katholikon, which is dedicated to the Virgin, is of the octagonal architectural type with narthex, exonarthex and an attached building to the west. It suffered severe damage and was drastically restored after the 1881 earthquake. The marble revetments in the narthex and nave as well as the lavish mosaic decoration of the nave survive in excellent condition.