Hagios Panteleemon

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/07/234
Level Item
Place Hagios Panteleemon
Dates 1888-1890
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Part of elevation. This is a prelimanary drawing in pencil. Further annotation survives on both sides paper which was probably once part of a notebook.
Further information The church known as Hagios Panteleemon, which in the past has been identified with the renown katholikon of the Theotokos Perivleptos monastery, follows, in general terms, the architectural type of the Hagioi Apostoloi and the Hagia Aikaterine churches: it is a domed four-columned cross-in-square church with domed narthex and an open portico (peristyle) with two side chapels on the east side.Unfortunately, the monument suffered considerable damage: nothing has survived of the peristyle and only traces remain of the fresco decoration of the interior. The building is constructed purely of brick however, the decorative monochrome or two-tone patterns that enliven the walling in other contemporary churches of Thessalonike are employed here with economy. The church has convincingly been assigned a date about the beginning of the 14th c.