Frankavilla Church

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/13/050
Level Item
Place Frankavilla Monastery
Dates 1905-1909
Creator Traquair, Mr Ramsay
Scope and Content View from the east. Further annotation in pencil survives at the back of the photograph.
Further information The church of Frankavilla is located south-west of present-day Amaliada. It’s a three-aisled domed church with narthex terminating in a semi-circular apse at the east end. Four massive buttresses built of rubble support the building on the north and south sides. This heavy, large and somewhat clumsy church must have been constructed during the Frankish period although it bears no western influences at all.