|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Traquair, Mr Ramsay
|Scope and Content||View of the castle. Further annotation in pencil survives at the back of the photograph.|
|Further information||The village of Chalandritsa lies 12 miles south of Patras. It preserves the name of the barony confirmed by Champlitte to Audebert de la Tremouille after the Frankish invasion to Peloponnese that started soon after the fall of Constantinople to the Crusaders in 1204 and was completed between 1246 and 1250. The barony survived undivided until the end of the 13th c.
Chalandritsa castle is a rectangular keep with thick rubble walls and larger stone at the angles. The present remains which do not seem elaborate enough to be the remains of the castle of such an important barony as Chalandritsa do not help establish a date for it.