|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Traquair, Mr Ramsay
|Scope and Content||View from the west. Further annotation in pecil survives at the back of the photograph.|
|Further information||The village of Chalandritsa lies 12 miles south of Patras. It preserves the name of the barony conferred by Champlitte on Audebert de la Tremouille after the Frankish invasion of the Peloponnese that started soon after the fall of Constantinople to the Crusaders in 1204 and was completed between 1246 and 1250. The barony survived undivided until the end of the 13th c.
Hagioi Theodoroi is a little barrel-vaulted church with semicircular apse. The main door to the building has a pointed arch and above it is a rough niche also with a pointed arch. Originally, the church had two side doors. These are now built up. The date of the church is much disputed. Certainly, it does not belong to the early Latin or the Byzantine period. It has been suggested that it may have been built during the 15th or the 18th c.