Loukous Monastery

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/11/005
Level Item
Place Loukou Monastery
Dates before 1913
Creator Baker-Penoyre, Mr John ff.
Scope and Content View of the church from the south. This is a Hellenic Society photograph. It is numbered (H.S. 2329) in pencil a the back. According to the photographic list of the Hellenic Society J. Penoyre is the donor of the item.
Further information The monastery of Loukous, dedicated to the Metamorphosis (Transfiguration of Christ), is located close to Astros, Acradia. The first church on the site must have been erected in the 5th c. while the present katholicon, a four-columned cross-in-square church built of cloisonné masonry, dates to the 12th c. Worth noting is the octagonal Athenian-type dome. Two chapels flank the entrance while seventeenth-century wall-paintings and marble floor opus-sectile decorate the interior. The monastery played a key role during the Greek War of Independence (1821). Today it flourishes as a nunnery.
Related records [BSA SPHS 01/0742.2329], Courtyard of the Byzantine Monastery of Loukou, 1907