Hagios Vasileios

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/09/039
Level Item
Description Ink, Pencil, Paper
Dimensions 36.9 x 46.7 cm (H x L)
Place Hagios Vasileios
Arta
Dates 1890
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content A preliminiary drawing that was entitled: 'Church of Basil Arta' but has been crossed out and corrected in pencil: 'Arta Church of S. Basil'. The drawing is labelled in ink: 'A Plan of the Church'. The front is the ground plan of the church (scale 1: 50). Further annotation survives in pencil on the back ('1.2').
Further information The church of Hagios Vasileios at Arta dates to the end of the 13th century and is a wooden-roofed one-aisled basilica with two subsidiary aisles. The eastern halves of these aisles functioned as independent chapels while the function of the western halves is unknown.The exterior decoration of the church is typical of the architecture of the Despotate of Epirus, one of the independent Greek states established after the fall of Constantinople in 1204 along with the empires of Nicaea and Trebizond. The ornamental brick inserts in elaborate shapes enliven the exterior walls on all four sides of the building. Large brick courses of geometric patterns, mainly chequerboard, in three or four colours decorate in continuous friezes the north and east sides. Two glazed relief icons, one of the Crucifixion and another one depicting the Three Hierarchs, decorate the lower part of the lateral semi-arches which flank the two-light windows in the east gable. No sculpture survives in the church but the interior walls are covered with post-Byzantine wall-paintings.