|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
|Dimensions||15.7 x 20.9 cm (H x L)|
Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
|Scope and Content||View of the church from the south-west.The ambulatory had a porch in the late 1800s as is recorded in photographs. This seems to have been a much later addition to the structure and does not survive today. Further annotation survives on the back of the photograph.|
|Further information||The katholikon of the Vlachernae monastery, north-east of Arta, is named after the famous Constantinopolitan Panagia ton Vlachernon. The present day church has several building phases. In the 1220s, the central apse of an earlier 10th century church was incorporated into a three-aisled domed basilica, thus serving as its diakonikon. Between the 1230s and the 1250s three domes were built over the naos and the building was decorated with impressive frescoes.
According to surviving funerary inscriptions distinguished members of the Petraliphas family, which the empress (basilissa) and later Saint Theodora belonged to, were buried in the church. Although two of the tombs still survive respectively in the western bay of the north and south aisles, they are modern restorations created in 1936 under the direction of A.K. Orlandos.