2418 results

About the BRF Collection

The Byzantine Research Fund Archive (BRF) is a unique collection of architectural drawings, photographs and notebooks created from the late 19th century to the middle of the 20th century by a small team of British architects trained in the Arts & Crafts tradition whose studies of Byzantium shaped the Byzantine Revival in later years.

The collection contains over 1,500 drawings and 1,000 photographs, numerous notebooks and the corporate records associated with the Byzantine Research and Publication Fund, the original body created in 1907 to support this work. Although the Fund was associated with the BSA from the time it was founded, it was not until 1937 that the BSA formerly took over the property and operation of it. The BRF Archive contains records of Byzantine monuments in Greece, Turkey, Italy, the Near East, Egypt, and Cyprus. In some cases, the collection contains the only record of a monument before its destruction in modern times, the most important example being the church of Hagios Demetrios in Thessalonike which was almost completely destroyed in the Great Fire of 1917 shortly after being recorded by one of the BRF architects, Walter Sykes George. It also contains personal records of the following architects; Robert Weir Schultz, Sidney Howard Barnsley, Walter Sykes George, William Harvey, Harold Swainson, Peter Gus Corbett, and A.H.S (Peter) Megaw. The aspirations of the BRF Archive Project today are to make these materials accessible to a wide range of researchers.

Hagia Sophia [BRF/02/01/07/130], Hagia Sophia, 1907/9?

Dome mosaics (close view of the saints). The mosaic decoration in the dome is dated to the late 9th c. The photograph is signed in ink and pencil 'W.S.George' in the lower right-hand corner. Further annotation in pencil survives.

Sixth-century Basilica [BRF/02/01/06/004], Sixth-century Basilica, Jun-07

View of the basilica and of the small nearby chapel. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2840). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Sixth-century Basilica [BRF/02/01/06/003], Sixth-century Basilica, Jun-07

The west end from the north. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2841). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Sixth-century Basilica [BRF/02/01/06/009], Sixth-century Basilica, Jun-07

Slab and antefix. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2844). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Sixth-century Basilica [BRF/02/01/06/007], Sixth-century Basilica, Jun-07

Carved slab fragments from the apse. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2845). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Sixth-century Basilica [BRF/02/01/06/008], Sixth-century Basilica, Jun-07

Carved slab from the apse. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2846). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Sixth-century Basilica [BRF/02/01/06/005], Sixth-century Basilica, Jun-07

Window-jambs, various architectural members. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2847). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Sixth-century Basilica [BRF/02/01/06/006], Sixth-century Basilica, Jun-07

Column capitals from west end. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2848). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Hagios Athanasios [BRF/02/01/16/048], Hagios Athanasios, before 1913/1907?

Gilded wood-carved templon. Notable are the post-Byzantine icons. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2863). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Evangelistria Monastery [BRF/02/01/16/049], Evangelistria Monastery, before 1913/1907?

The gilded templon. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2865). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Metamorphosis Monastery [BRF/02/01/16/050], Metamorphosis Monastery, before 1913/1907?

The templon with post-Byzantine icons. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2867). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Hagios Demetrios [BRF/02/01/06/002], Hagios Demetrios, 1907?

The templon (closer view). This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2876). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.

Hagios Demetrios [BRF/02/01/07/196], Hagios Demetrios, 1907-1908

Series of columns in the north transept. The photograph has the following annotations in pencil on the back: 'W.S.G.' and ' 'HS 7677' (the negative number of the Hellenic Society collection).

Panagia Church - Hossios Loukas [BRF/01/01/04/055], Panagia Church - Hossios Loukas, 1890?

Capital of the north-west or the south-east pillar. Further annotation in pencil survives.

Panagia Church - Hossios Loukas [BRF/01/01/04/056], Panagia Church - Hossios Loukas, 1890?

Capital of the north-west or the south-east pillar. On the reverse: Capital of the north-east or the south-west pillar. This is a preliminary drawing. Further annotation in pencil survives. An unfinished sketch of a capital survives at the back.

Monemvasia [BRF/02/01/14/110], Monemvasia, 1888-1890

General view. The photograph is annotated in pencil at the back.

Monastery of Daou-Penteli [BRF/01/01/01/122], Monastery of Daou-Penteli, Mar. 1902

Plan of the monastic complex. This is a detailed ground plan of the Daou-Penteli monastic buildings. The drawing is entitled:'Church of the Ruined Monastery at Daou-Mendeli- Attica- Greece'. The monastic buildings are inscribed separately. Further annotation in pencil survives. F.W. Hasluck contributed to the survey of these buildings.

Monastery of Daou-Penteli [BRF/01/01/01/123], Monastery of Daou-Penteli, Mar. 1902

Upper row (from left to right): West elevation, South elevation, East elevation, Cross section (looking west). Middle row (from left to right): Cross section, North elevation, Longitudinal section (looking south). Lower row (from left to right): Ground plan, Plan at gallery level, Plan at lower roof level. The elevations and the plans depict the main church, the katholikon, of the Daou-Penteli monastic complex. The drawing is entitled: 'Church of the Ruined Monastery at Daou-Mendeli- Attica- Greece'. Each elevation and plan is inscribed separately. Futher annotation in pencil survives. F.W. Hasluck contributed to the survey these buildings.