Kastro in Naxos
|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Fotheringham, Mr John Knight
|Scope and Content||Annotated in ink on the back, 'View of Castro with medieval wall, Naxos. Catholic cathedral just visible on the ...Orthodox cathedral in the foreground'|
|Further information||Naxos and Paros were the two central islands of the Duchy of the Archipelago (or of Naxos or of the Aegean) which was established by Italian city states, especially Genoa, Pisa and Venice, in the Aegean after the siege of Constantinople in 1204. Marco Sanudo, nephew of Enrico Dandolo, who had established himself as the Duke of Naxia or of the Archipelagos, conquered the island in 1210, divided it into provinces and rebuilt its fortifications.
Naxos castle is a pentagon with three gates and towers. It was founded in 1207 by Marco Sanudo. A series of Italian coats of arms still survive in various parts of the enceinte.