|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Wace, Mr A.J. B.
|Scope and Content||The templon with post-Byzantine icons. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2867). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.|
|Further information||Skopelos is the second largest island in the Sporades group. The island was inhabited as early as the Minoan period. It fell to the Venetians after 1204 and administratively belonged to the Duchy of Naxos but was recaptured by the Byzantines about seventy years later. Around 120 Byzantine and post-Byzantine churches survive on the island.
The monastery of the Metamorphosis located opposite to the Evangelistria monastic complex is a metochion of the Xenophontos monastery, Mount Athos. It must have been founded in the 16th or the 17th c. and was granted exceptional privileges by Patriarch Cyril II.
|Related records||Access restricted|