|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Wace, Mr A.J. B.
|Scope and Content||Carved slab fragments from the apse. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2845). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.|
|Further information||Theotokos lies in south-east Magnesia. It has continuously been occupied since the 5th c. B.C. In 1907 a large sixth-century wooden-roofed basilica with narthex, exo-narthex (porch) and a baptistery was excavated at the site. Worth noting is the lavish mosaic floor of the monument, which survived in relatively good condition, as well as the sculpture.|
|Related records||Access restricted|
1907. BSA 13: 317, fig.7. Link to article