Sixth-century Basilica

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/02/01/06/008
Level Item
Place Theotokos
Dates Jun-07
Creator Wace, Mr A.J. B.
Scope and Content Carved slab from the apse. This is a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 2846). It is initialed (A.J.B.W.) and annotated in pencil at the back.
Further information Theotokos lies in south-east Magnesia. It has continuously been occupied since the 5th c. B.C. In 1907 a large sixth-century wooden-roofed basilica with narthex, exo-narthex (porch) and a baptistery was excavated at the site. Worth noting is the lavish mosaic floor of the monument, which survived in relatively good condition, as well as the sculpture.
Related records Access restricted