Hypapanti

Department Archive
Collection Byzantine Research Fund
Reference No. BRF/01/01/01/121
Level Item
Place Athens
Dates 1888-1890
Creator Weir Schultz, Mr Robert
Barnsley, Mr Sidney Howard
Scope and Content Ground plan. The words 'Hypapanti' (in Greek) iand 'Athens' are inscribed in pencil on the top of the drawing. A sketch of circular design in pencil survives at the back.
Further information The church of the Hypapanti in Plaka was one of the most representative examples of Gothic architecture in Athens. It was a three-aisled wooden-roofed basilica. Between 1205 and 1308 Athens became a dukedom ruled by the French family of the de la Roche. During this period the Parthenon was converted into a Catholic church and three Gothic churches were founded: the church of the Hypapanti and of Hagios Georgios the Magkoutis in Plaka and a third one from which only spolia have survived. All three churches were demolished.