Mount Athos: General view from the W. of the Dionysíou Monastery
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4187.8560|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||10 x 8.5 cm|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Dionysioú: general view from W.".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).|
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 189-191)
The Monastery of Dionysiou is situated on a rocky outcrop overlooking the sea. The founder of the monastery was thought to be a monk from the Kastoria district, funded by royal donation from Trebizond in the 14the century. However, most of the monastery was destroyed in a fire of 1535 and re-built by nobles from Wallachia. It only became part of the first rank of Athos monasteries in the 18th century, although by the time Hasluck visited in 1911, it was still considered to be quite poor. The katholikon and great tower were bult during the 16th century re-build.
1911 JHS 31: 7th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxxi.SPHS 8560. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 31.SPHS 8560. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 73.SPHS 8560. Link to article
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its monasteries. facing 156, pl. 23(a).
1936 Exhibition Catalogue. 78.No. 349c.