Mount Athos: The arsenal tower and boathouse of the Zographou Monastery

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4732.9678
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8 cm
Place Arsenal of Zographou Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Zographou 'arsenal' & tower".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924). Arsenals are port towers (arsanades) often associated with boat houses, located on the coast near the associated monastery.
Further information Zographou Monastery is a wealthy foundation, most likely in the late 11th century, from three nobles from Ochrida in Macedonia. It is dedicated to St George. Around 1500, there was a great deal of rebuilding although nothing from this period remains. Hasluck's impressions in 1911 were of a wealthy monastery with well-kept buildings that date to the latter part of the 18th century or early 19th.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 138-140)