Mount Athos: The 18th century bell tower (campanile) of Karyes

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4716.9662
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 11 x 8 cm
Place Karyes
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Karyes, Campanile".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924). A watercolour by Hasluck published in his book as pl. 3 (facing p. 4) shows a similar view, possibly derived from this photograph.
Further information Karyes is the main market and administrative centre of the Athos peninsula. At the time Hasluck visited in 1911, the town consisted of one cobbled street with ins and shops. Hasluck remarks that, in these shops, visitors could purchase religious souvenirs such as photographs, beads and carved wooden objects. These carved wooden objects such as crosses and small pocket icons were from specialist workshops in sketae, particularly those located on the slopes of Mount Athos. The 10th century church of Protaton (the church of the Protos or Primate of Athos) and its 18th century bell-tower are also located in the town.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 168-171)