Rhodes (fortifications): St. Catherine's Gate

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/2284.6135
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately half plate size, an original negative. Written on the border of the negative: "Caton 43 Relief St. Catherines Gate Rhodes".
Dimensions 12.5 x 10.5 cm
Place Rodos
Dates 1906
Creator Caton, Dr Richard C.
Scope and Content Part of a group of images donated by the Argonaut Camera Club, taken on excursions and cruises in Greece and Asia Minor. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Rhodes: St. Catharine's Gate".
Notes The image may come from an Easter cruise of the Hellenic Travellers Club on the S.Y. Argonaut ca. 1906.
Further information Rhodes, the largest island of the Dodecanese, was a wealthy sea port as early as its foundation in 408 BC. Venetians were established on Rhodes as early as 1082 while at the beginning of the 14th c. the Genoese feudatories who were administrating the island, sold it to the Knights of St John. The so-called Grand Masters began to repair, reinforce and extend the Byzantine fortifications of the city as early as the first quarter of the 14th c. and until as least the last quarter of the 15th. The fortification, a complex heavy defensive system with Rhodes castle at its heart, is an eloquent testimony to the concern of the western rulers of Rhodes as the Ottoman threat loomed closer on the horizon.
Related records [BRF/02/01/16/041], Fortifications, 1906
Reference 1906 JHS 26: 2nd accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxv.SPHS 6135. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 26.SPHS 6135. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 77.SPHS 6135. Link to article