Lindos: Coat of arms [Castle of St. John?]
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/2292.6147|
|Description||Film negative, smaller than quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||8.5 x 6.5 cm|
Brown, Mr Adam
|Scope and Content||Part of a group of images donated by the Argonaut Camera Club, taken on excursions and cruises in Greece and Asia Minor. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Lindus: coat of arms".|
|Notes||The image may come from an Easter cruise of the Hellenic Travellers Club on the S.Y. Argonaut ca. 1906.|
The town of Lindos on the east coast of the island of Rhodes was founded by the Dorians around the 10th c. BC and flourished as a wealthy trading-centre particularly before the foundation of the city of Rhodes (late 5th c.).
The acropolis, which manifests a series of successive construction phases as late as the Ottoman period, was dominated in ancient times by the massive temple of Athena Lindia which was completed by c. 300 BC but enlarged in the Hellenistic and the Roman periods. A series of other ancient, Crusader and Byzantine buildings still survive inside the enceinte.
[BRF/02/01/16/022], Lindos Town, 1906
1907 JHS 27: 3rd accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxiii.SPHS 6147. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 28.SPHS 6147. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 77.SPHS 6147. Link to article