General view of the harbour of Halicarnassus [modern Bodrum]
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/2302.6162|
|Description||Glass negative, quarter plate size, a copy negative taken from a photographic print.|
|Dimensions||10.5 x 8 cm|
Howden, Charles R.A.
|Scope and Content||Part of a group of images donated by the Argonaut Camera Club, taken on excursions and cruises in Greece and Asia Minor. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Halicarnassus: general view of the habour".|
|Notes||The image may come from an Easter cruise of the Hellenic Travellers Club on the S.Y. Argonaut ca. 1906. Howden is mentioned in 'Proceedings of the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies. Session 1905-1906' The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol. 26 (1906) p. xlv as depositing images with the SPHS collection.|
|Further information||Hellenic Travellers Club
The Hellenic Travellers Club consisted of school teachers and others interested in educational cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean. Initiated by Henry Lunn, the club was formalised in 1905, but grew out of experimental cruises called Argonaut Cruises (after the steam yacht) - first in 1901 and then in 1903 and 1904. Annual spring cruises began in 1905, continued until the First World War and resumed in 1924 before finally halting with advent of the Second World War
Many of the passengers from 1901 onward were keen photographers - initially referred to as the Argonaut Camera Club - and a number of their images were donated to the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies or made their way into private collections. The Hellenic Travellers Club produced annual proceedings which published many of the lectures given on board, illustrated with photographs from the tours. See: Harlan, D. 2018. "More than Armchair Travellers" ARGO 8: 19-21.
[BRF/02/02/03/001], Castle of St Peter (Bodrum Castle), ca. 1913