Mount Athos: Seaward front (W.) of the Xenophontos Monastery
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4738.9684|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||10.5 x 8.5 cm|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Hasluck in Mount Athos 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Xenophontos, seaward front".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924). According to Hasluck in his book, this image belongs to the "Russiko" or Russian Monastery which is the St. Panteleimon Monastery. It is on the same plate as a similar view of the Xenophontos Monastery and is probably a mix-up.|
|Further information||Built on the west shore of Mount Athos, the Xenophontos Monastery is deidcated to St. George. It claims that its founder was the 6th century St. Xenophon, but more likely to have been either the abbot of St. George who signed a document in 1010 or a wealthy Constantonopolitan (also in the 9th century). The chief benefactors seem to have been Moldo-Wallachian who undertook considerable restoration in 1545. Later in the 16th century more rebuilding was conducted under Romanian sponsorship. The buildings seen by Hasluck in 1911 date to two periods - the first to the middle of the 16th century, and the second to the early 19th century when the monastery was enlarged.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 115-120)
1912 JHS 32: 8th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxix.SPHS 9684. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 32.SPHS 9684. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 74.SPHS 9684. Link to article
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its monasteries. facing 122, pl. 15(a).