Mount Athos: General view of the Agiou Pavlou Monastery
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4744.9690|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||11 x 8 cm|
Agiou Pavlou Monastery
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: H. Paulou, general view".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).|
|Further information||On the southern end of the peninsula on the western slopes of Mount Athos, the Monastery of Ayiou Pavlou (St. Paul) is positioned on a rocky shelf above a stony ravine. The monastery was originally a dependency of Xeropotomou, becoming independent in 1404. It had many Serbian benefactors in the 15th century, followed by noble Rumanian benefactors in the 16th and 17th centuries, and finally Russian in the 18th. By the time Hasluck visited in 1911, most of the buildings had been destroyed by a fire in 1902 except for the 15th century old katholikon, the 16th century tower and the 19th century new katholikon. All other buildings post-date 1902.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 186-188)
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its monasteries. facing 136, pl. 18(b).
1936 Exhibition Catalogue. 78.No. 349d.