Constantinople (Ancient Hippidrome): Delphic serpent column

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/3965.7965
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative. Written on the border of the negative: "H.Awdry: 9.48: Constantinople. Delphic serpent column (2)".
Dimensions 11 x 8 cm
Place Serpent Column
Istanbul
Dates 1903-1909
Creator Awdry, Mr Herbert
Scope and Content Part of a group of images donated by the Argonaut Camera Club, taken on excursions and cruises in Greece and Asia Minor. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Constantinople: the tripod stand".
Notes Possible image from a schoolmaster cruise of the Hellenic Travellers Club, either on the S.Y. Argonaut or after 1908 on the R.M.S. Donottar Castle. Latest date based on the death of the donor. Note that the "Plataean Serpant" is also referred to as the Serpentine Column, Plataean Tripod or the Delphi Tripod.
Further information Hellenic Travellers Club
The Hellenic Travellers Club consisted of school teachers and others interested in educational cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean. Initiated by Henry Lunn, the club was formalised in 1905, but grew out of experimental cruises called Argonaut Cruises (after the steam yacht) - first in 1901 and then in 1903 and 1904. Annual spring cruises began in 1905, continued until the First World War and resumed in 1924 before finally halting with advent of the Second World War

Many of the passengers from 1901 onward were keen photographers - initially referred to as the Argonaut Camera Club - and a number of their images were donated to the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies or made their way into private collections. The Hellenic Travellers Club produced annual proceedings which published many of the lectures given on board, illustrated with photographs from the tours. See: Harlan, D. 2018. "More than Armchair Travellers" ARGO 8: 19-21.