Ephesus: Castle (Ayasoluk Fortress) and Castle Hill

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/1196.3111
Level Item
Description Glass negative, full plate size, a copy negative.
Dimensions 21.5 x 16 cm
Place Ayasoluk Fortress
Ayasuluk
Dates 1872-1873
Creator Trotman, Corporal J.
Trotman, Mrs
Scope and Content Part of a collection of images photographed by Corporal Trotman around the area of Ephesus and the Seven Cities of Asia Minor, taken between 1871-1873. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Ephesus: Castle and Castle Hill".
Notes Date based on Corporal Trotman's time at Ephesus based on entries in the 1877 book, Discoveries at Ephesus by J.T. Wood. Trotman was with Wood for three seasons from 1872 until early 1874. Wood indicates that Trotman used the summer of 1873 to travel to the 'seven cities' of Asia Minor to photograph. The images were made available to the Hellenic Society (by Mrs Trotman according to the negative register) in 1892 (JHS 13: xxxvii).
Further information Ayasuluk Hill fortifications date from the early Byzantine period and were extensively reconstructed in the Seljuk period. Entry to the citadel on Ayasuluk Hill was through the Gate of Persecution which is flanked by square towers on either side and dates to the 6th c. AD, but rebuilt in the 8th c.. The Gate was named after a frieze depicting the discovering of Achilles by Odysseus which was mistakenly interpreted as depicting the persecution of the Christians. Immediately inside the fortifications lies St. John's Church, a domed basilica dating to the time of Justinian (AD 527-565) - said to be built over the tomb of St. John.
Related records [BRF/02/02/03/008], The citadel on Ayasuluk Hill, 1872-1873