Ephesus: Double Christian church, the Church of Mary

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/1209.3124
Level Item
Description Glass negative, full plate size, a copy negative.
Dimensions 21.5 x 16 cm
Place Meryemana
Ephesus
Dates 1872-1873
Creator Trotman, Corporal J.
Trotman, Mrs
Scope and Content Part of a collection of images photographed by Corporal Trotman around the area of Ephesus and the Seven Cities of Asia Minor, taken between 1871-1873. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Ephesus: Double Christian Church".
Notes Date based on Corporal Trotman's time at Ephesus based on entries in the 1877 book, Discoveries at Ephesus by J.T. Wood. Trotman was with Wood for three seasons from 1872 until early 1874. Wood indicates that Trotman used the summer of 1873 to travel to the 'seven cities' of Asia Minor to photograph. The images were made available to the Hellenic Society (by Mrs Trotman according to the negative register) in 1892 (JHS 13: xxxvii).
Further information The House of the Virgin (Meryemana) is located on the top of Bulbul Mountain at a distance of approximately 9km from Ephesus. Hagios Ioannis ho Theologos and the Virgin came to Ephesus about 40 A.D. and stayed in the region until their death. The structure identified as the House of Hagia Maria is a Roman two-storey stone building consisting of a series of small rooms. A church enclosing the House and Grave of the Virgin was erected in the 4th c. The site was described in the vision of a German nun in the late eighteenth/early nineteenth century, was spotted, visited by Pope Paul IV in the 1960’s and officially declared by Pope John-Paul II in the 1980’s as a pilgrimage destination. The site continues to be particularly popular with pilgrims.
Related records [BRF/02/02/03/006], Hagia Maria-Meryemana, 1872-1873