Ephesus: Remains of St. Luke's tomb

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/1215.3130
Level Item
Description Glass negative, full plate size, a copy negative.
Dimensions 21.5 x 16 cm
Place Ephesus
Dates 1872-1873
Creator Trotman, Corporal J.
Trotman, Mrs
Scope and Content Part of a collection of images photographed by Corporal Trotman around the area of Ephesus and the Seven Cities of Asia Minor, taken between 1871-1873. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Ephesus: remains of St. Luke's Tomb".
Notes Date based on Corporal Trotman's time at Ephesus based on entries in the 1877 book, Discoveries at Ephesus by J.T. Wood. Trotman was with Wood for three seasons from 1872 until early 1874. Wood indicates that Trotman used the summer of 1873 to travel to the 'seven cities' of Asia Minor to photograph. The images were made available to the Hellenic Society (by Mrs Trotman according to the negative register) in 1892 (JHS 13: xxxvii).
Further information A circular structure in front of the Ephesus city Odeum bearing the carved skull of a bull on the doorjamb has been identified as the ‘grave of Hagios Loukas’- the bull, the third of the symbols mentioned by Ezekiel, is used in Byzantine art as a symbolic representation of the saint. The structure was, very likely, an ancient temple which was later used as a chapel/church.
Related records [BRF/02/02/03/007], Tomb of Hagios Loukas (St Luke), 1872-1873
Reference 1904 JHS 24: Catalogue of Slides. lxxxviii.SPHS 3130. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 17.SPHS 3130. Link to article