Hierapolis: View from the theatre looking S.W. showing the baths

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/1239.3155
Level Item
Description Glass negative, full plate size, a copy negative.
Dimensions 21.5 x 16 cm
Place Hierapolis
Dates 1873
Creator Trotman, Corporal J.
Trotman, Mrs
Scope and Content Part of a collection of images photographed by Corporal Trotman around the area of Ephesus and the Seven Cities of Asia Minor, taken between 1871-1873. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Hieropolis: from the theatre looking SW showing the baths".
Notes Date based on Corporal Trotman's time at Ephesus based on entries in the 1877 book, Discoveries at Ephesus by J.T. Wood. Trotman was with Wood for three seasons from 1872 until early 1874. Wood indicates that Trotman used the summer of 1873 to travel to the 'seven cities' of Asia Minor to photograph. The images were made available to the Hellenic Society (by Mrs Trotman according to the negative register) in 1892 (JHS 13: xxxvii).
Further information The ancient city of Hierapolis (Pamukkale) was, allegedly, founded by Eumenes II, King of Pergamun (197-159 BC) while, according to the ancient myth, god Apollo was the founder of the ‘Sacred City’. Hierapolis has also been associated with Pluto, god of the underworld: the underground volcanic activity in the region results to the extraordinary effect created by hot springs leaving, as the water flows down the slopes, layers of white calcium carbonate built up in steps, a physical activity reflected in the modern name of the city (Pamukkale means ‘Cotton Castle’). The city, which in 133 became part of the Roman province of Asia, flourished in the 2nd and 3rd c. Decline started in the 6th c. and the city was abandoned after the 1334 earthquake. The fourth-century Nymphaeum, the temple of Apollo, founded in the Hellenistic period, the Plutonium, the sacred cave-entrance to the underworld, the Theatre and the fifth-century Martyrium of Apostle Philip are some of the city monuments which survive to date in ruins. The latter was an impressive octagonal rotunda with a crypt located outside the walls by the northern part of the city, which allegedly contained the remains of the apostle – an ancient tradition associates him with Hierapolis mentioning that he was crucified there in 80 AD.