Sculpture of a seated female figure, possibly Kore Soteira, from Cyzicus in situ

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/1685.4165
Level Item
Description Glass half plate negative, broken in two pieces. A.E. Henderson's monogram is written in ink on the negative. Possibly original or a first generation copy negative donated by Hasluck from an original film negative.
Dimensions 16 x 12 cm
Place Cyzicus
Dates 1902
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Henderson, Mr Arthur Edward FSA
Collection event Cyzicus Survey 1902-1906
Scope and Content Part of a series of images from the survey 1902-1906 carried out by F.W. Hasluck at Cyzicus and surrounding territory in Anatolia, under the auspices of the British School at Athens. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Cyzicus: Sculpture, another view of same"
Notes Date based on Hasluck's assistance to A.E. Henderson in the survey of Cyzicus, mentioned in his 1910 monograph (Cyzicus: Being Some Account of the History and Antiquities of that City, Cambridge: CUP). Although F.W. Hasluck and A.E. Henderson were both listed as donors in the SPHS Negative register, the photograph was most likely taken by A.E. Henderson. In Hasluck 1902 BSA article on sculptures from Cyzicus, the statue is said to have been found jin 1901 at a spot not far from the southern wall of the city; it was cleared in 1902. The image that appears in Hasluck's article on Sculptures from Cyzicus has been cleaned up from the original and the background removed.
Further information The ancient town of Cyzicus was probably a Pelasgian foundation, but soon acquired considerable commercial significance and cut a particularly valuable staple coinage, the gold stater. It is located on the Propontis in the area of ancient Mysia, a region on the south coast of the Marmara sea northwest of Asia Minor. Pergamon and Cyzicus were the most important trade-centres in Mysia.

The naval battle of Cyzicus was of key importance for the outcome of the Peloponnesian war while under Roman emperor Tiberius the city witnessed prosperity and wealth. The city was captured temporarily by the Arabs in 675 and, after a series of disastrous earthquakes, it began, as early as the 11th century, to be gradually deserted. Principal ruins in the nearby marsh land of Balkiz Serai are those of the fourth-century walls, an Andrian temple, a Roman aqueduct and a theatre.
Reference 1902. BSA 8: pl. V.3a. Link to article