Mount Athos: Domes of a church and the main church (Katholikon) towards the bell tower (campanile) in the distance in the Russian Monastery known as Rossikon [St. Panteleimon Monastery]

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/0144.1204
Level Item
Description Film negative, smaller than quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 9 x 6 cm
Place St. Panteleimon Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates Latest 1912
Creator Seale, Rev. Ernest G.
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Mt. Athos: S.W. Russian monastery (Rossikon). Part of building".
Notes Latest date based on the JHS slide catalogue and Rev. E.G. Seale's donation of images to the SPHS collection - 'Proceedings of the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies. Session 1911-12' The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol. 32 (1912) p. liii.
Further information St. Panteleimon Monastery is also known as the Rossikon ('Roussiko') or Russian Monastery. It stands on the west shore of Mount Athos. It seems to have had early Serbian and then Russian connection by the 16th century until the monastery was ruined in 1584. It remained in a decayed state and by 1705 there were only four resident monks - two Bulgarian and two Russian. In the early 19th century it came under the protection of the Phanariote hospodar family of Kallimachis who had many buildings reconstructed which were observed by Hasluck in 1911.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 122-125)
Reference 1912 JHS 32: 8th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxix.SPHS 1204. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 32.SPHS 1204. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 74.SPHS 1204. Link to article