Patmos: Bells of the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/2096.5558|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative. Written on the border of the negative: "C.J.J. Mansford 14."|
|Dimensions||9 x 6 cm|
Monastery of Saint John the Theologian
Mansford, C. J.J.
|Scope and Content||The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Patmos: monastery, bells".|
|Notes||Latest date based on the donation of images to the SPHS collection by 1904 - JHS 14 (1904) lxxxiii. Notations written on the negative border (photographer and internal catalogue number), is common for photographers on a Hellenic Travellers Club cruise. Note that C.J.J. Mansford was listed as a member of the Club and Patmos was often one of the sites visited on the cruises.|
|Further information||Hellenic Travellers Club
The Hellenic Travellers Club consisted of school teachers and others interested in educational cruises to the Eastern Mediterranean. Initiated by Henry Lunn, the club was formalised in 1905, but grew out of experimental cruises called Argonaut Cruises (after the steam yacht) - first in 1901 and then in 1903 and 1904. Annual spring cruises began in 1905, continued until the First World War and resumed in 1924 before finally halting with advent of the Second World War
Many of the passengers from 1901 onward were keen photographers - initially referred to as the Argonaut Camera Club - and a number of their images were donated to the Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies or made their way into private collections. The Hellenic Travellers Club produced annual proceedings which published many of the lectures given on board, illustrated with photographs from the tours. See: Harlan, D. 2018. "More than Armchair Travellers" ARGO 8: 19-21.
[BRF/02/01/16/039], Hagios Ioannis Monastery, 1903-1904