Ephesus: Excavations of the Temple of Diana (Artemis) from the Ayasoluk Fortress

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/1200.3115
Level Item
Description Glass negative, full plate size, a copy negative.
Dimensions 21.5 x 16 cm
Place Artemision at Ephesus
Ephesus
Dates 1872-1873
Creator Trotman, Corporal J.
Trotman, Mrs
Scope and Content Part of a collection of images photographed by Corporal Trotman around the area of Ephesus and the Seven Cities of Asia Minor, taken between 1871-1873. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Ephesus: Excavations of temple of Diana, form Castle Hill".
Notes Date based on H.M.S. Caledonia's shipment of artefacts from Ephesus - see SPHS 3128 and 3132 for an image of the officers and sailors of the ship - and Wood's comments on Corporal Trotman in his 1877 book, Discoveries at Ephesus. Trotman was with Wood for three seasons from 1871 until early 1874. Wood indicates that Trotman used the summer of 1873 to travel to the 'seven cities' of Asia Minor to photograph. The images were made available to the Hellenic Society (by Mrs Trotman according to the negative register) in 1892 (JHS 13: xxxvii).
Further information The temple of Artemis (Artemision) in Ephesus near Ayasuluk hill was known as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Archaeological evidence suggests it was sacred since the Bronze Age ddicated to a local deity who later became associated with the Greek Artemis. The oldest remains of the actual temple date to the 6th c. and later embellished by Croesus of Lydia who donated a series of columns decorated with relief sculture. It was extensively rebuilt following its destruction by fire set by the aronist Herostratus. Artemision, was a particularly popular pilgrim destination until it was destroyed by the Goths in 268 AD. Finally, the closure of the temple by the Christians marked the end of paganism. Spolia from the temple were used in the construction of other buildings, including some columns in Hagia Siphia in Constantinople, Parts of the temple’s architecture and sculture are in the British Museum from excavations by J.T. Wood in the 1870s and D.G. Hogarth in 1904-1906.