Interior of the Cave of the Apocalypse
|Collection||Byzantine Research Fund|
Moxon, Reverend Thomas Allen
|Scope and Content||Interior of the Cave of the Apocalypse, Patmos which is about halfway up the path that leads to the monastic complex of Hagios Ioannis o Theologos. This print is copy of a Hellenic Society photograph (H.S. 5557) as noted in pencil on the back of the photo along with the name Rev. T.A. Moxon who is probably the donor but not necessarily the creator. See SPHS Image Collection for more details|
|Further information||The monastery of Hagios Ioannis o Theologos on the island of Patmos was founded on the ruins of an ancient temple of Artemis in 1088 by monk Christodoulos at the instigation of emperor Alexios Komnenos. It consists of several courtyards, chapels, stairways, arcades, galleries and other auxiliary monastic buildings. The complex was heavily fortified. The chapel of the Theotokos is decorated with high quality twelfth-century frescoes while the treasury houses an impressive collection of religious artefacts, mainly icons of the so-called Cretan school.
The Cave of the Apocalypse is about halfway up the path that leads to the monastic complex. According to tradition, this is the location where St. John wrote the Book of Revelation. The Chapel of St. Anna, situated at the entrance to the cave, was also constructed by Christodoulos.
[BSA SPHS 01/2095.5557], Patmos: Interior of the Cave of the Apocalypse, 1903-1904