Mount Athos: The central dome of the main church (Katholikon) of Koutloumousiou Monastery

Department Archive
Collection SPHS BSA Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/4158.8531
Level Item
Description Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.
Dimensions 10.5 x 8.5 cm
Place Koutloumousiou Monastery
Mount Athos
Dates 1911
Creator Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
Collection event Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911
Scope and Content Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Koutloumousíou: central dome of church".
Notes Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).
Further information The Koutoumousiou Monastery, which Hasluck visited in 1911, is set in the countryside of the Athos peninsula, among pastures, woods and vineyards. It was traditionally founded by a converted Seljuk prince, whose mother was Christian, in the late 13th or early 14th century. However, two other foundation claims place it in the 11th century or as early as 988 when the monastery is mentioned in a document in the Zographou Monastery. It was restored in the 16th century and both the katholikon and the tower date to this time. Fires destroyed parts of the complex in the 18th and 19th centures after which restorations and new builds took place.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 172-174)