Mount Athos: The apsidal and central elongated domes of the 16th century main church (Katholikon) of the Dochiariou Monastery
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4172.8545|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||11 x 8.5 cm|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Docheraréiou: church SE apsidal & central domes".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).|
|Further information||Records of the Dochiariou Monastery indicate that the founder was Euthymius, abbot of Daphne, in the first half of the 11th century. The monks purchased the site from Xenophontos Monastery to create a new monastery dedicated to St. Michael. Moldovan benefactors restored the monastery in 1568 after a period of desertion. The site lies on a steep slope rising from the sea with most of the buildings seen by Hasluck in 1911 dating to the Moldovan reconstructions.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 130-134)
1911 JHS 31: 7th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxxi.SPHS 8545. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 31.SPHS 8545. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 73.SPHS 8545. Link to article
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its monasteries. facing 130, pl. 17(a).