Mount Athos: Entranceway to the Konstamonitou Monastery
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/4175.8548|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative.|
|Dimensions||10.5 x 8 cm|
Hasluck, Dr Frederick William
|Collection event||Mount Athos (Hasluck) 1911|
|Scope and Content||Part of a series of images taken by F.W. Hasluck during the course of his visit to Mount Athos in 1911. The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Athos: Costamoúitou: entrance".|
|Notes||Date based on Hasluck's visit to Mount Athos to research his book, Mount Athos and its Monasteries (1924).|
|Further information||Although legends attribute a very early foundation, the monastery of Konstamonitou (or Kastamonitou) is not mentioned in documents until the end of the 11th century. Benefactors included several Byzantine Emperors and high-ranking Serbians. It was restored in 1433 after a fire. By the end of 17th century, the monastery was a poor one and completely in ruin. Some rebuilding occurred in the early 19th century, but due to troubles surrounding the Greek War of Independence, it was again abandoned. In the middle of the 19th century, monks from Sinai undertook reconstruction with funds from Russia. By the time Hasluck visited in 1911, the monastery, enclosed in the hills north of Dochiariou Monastery, was still poor and most of the buildings dated to this latter 19th century rebuilding.
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its Monasteries, London: Kegan Paul (pp. 135-137)
1911 JHS 31: 7th accession to 1904 slide catalogue. lxxxi.SPHS 8548. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 31.SPHS 8548. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 74.SPHS 8548. Link to article
Hasluck, F.W. 1924. Athos and its monasteries. facing 136, pl. 18(a).