Patmos: Bells of the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian
|Collection||SPHS BSA Image Collection|
|Reference No.||BSA SPHS 01/2096.5558|
|Description||Film negative, approximately quarter plate size, an original negative. Written on the border of the negative: "C.J.J. Mansford 14."|
|Dimensions||9 x 6 cm|
Monastery of Saint John the Theologian
Mansford, C. J.J.
|Scope and Content||The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Patmos: monastery, bells".|
|Notes||Latest date based on the donation of images to the SPHS collection by 1904 - JHS 14 (1904) lxxxiii. Notations written on the negative border (photographer and internal catalogue number), is common for photographers on a Hellenic Travellers Club cruise. Note that C.J.J. Mansford was listed as a member of the Club and Patmos was often one of the sites visited on the cruises.|
The monastery of Hagios Ioannis o Theologos on the island of Patmos was founded on the ruins of an ancient temple of Artemis in 1088 by monk Christodoulos at the instigation of emperor Alexios Komnenos. It consists of several courtyards, chapels, stairways, arcades, galleries and other auxiliary monastic buildings. The complex was heavily fortified. The chapel of the Theotokos is decorated with high quality twelfth-century frescoes while the treasury houses an impressive collection of religious artefacts, mainly icons of the so-called Cretan school.
The Cave of the Apocalypse is about halfway up the path that leads to the monastic complex. According to tradition, this is the location where St. John wrote the Book of Revelation. The Chapel of St. Anna, situated at the entrance to the cave, was also constructed by Christodoulos.
[BRF/02/01/16/039], Hagios Ioannis Monastery, 1903-1904