Athens Acropolis: Bastion of Odysseus (since destroyed)

Department Archive
Collection BSA SPHS Image Collection
Reference No. BSA SPHS 01/0393.1707
Level Item
Description Glass negative, full plate size, a copy negative. In addition to the SPHS Catalogue number, the number 7 written on the negative.
Dimensions 21.5 x 16 cm
Place N.W. corner of Acropolis
Athens Acropolis
Dates 1888
Donor/Creator Macmillan, Mr Malcolm
Dyer, Mr Louis
Scope and Content The original description in the SPHS register reads: "Acropolis: Bastion of Odysseus (since destroyed)".
Notes Date of the image is based on the date of the removal of the bastion, fortifications placed on the acropolis in 1822 by the Greek general Odysseus Androutsos to protect access to the Klepsydra spring. The caption in the list of Photographs in the Hellenic Society reference collection, however, states "Bastion of Odysseus - View taken in 1889 (since destroyed" (published in the Journal of Hellenic Studies 1902, p. lxviii). Both Dyer and Macmillan were in Greece between 1888 and 1889, arriving to go to Cyprus with E.A. Gardner (see JHS 9: 170) and in 1889 Malcolm Macmillan died in an accident on Mt. Olympus.
Reference 1904 JHS 24: Catalogue of Slides. xcv.SPHS 1707. Link to article
1913 JHS 33: Catalogue of Slides. 34.SPHS 1707. Link to article